Saturday, October 10, 2009

Happy Birthday John Prine

No, I haven’t been tagged. And yes, I’m doing this meme of my own choosing.

In my virtual meanderings, I spotted this meme on Poetikat’s site.

I enjoyed what she did with it and filed it away as a form that could be fun to play with.

So tonight, as a tribute to John Prine, on his 63rd birthday, I offer a potpourri of songs, sorted through the filter of My Life According to John Prine:

1. Are you a male or female? - Donald and Lydia

2. Describe yourself: - Illegal Smile

3. How do you feel? – We Could

4. Describe where you currently live: - Other Side of Town

5. If you could go anywhere, where would you go? – Lake Marie

6.Your favorite form of transportation: - Morning Train

7. Your best friend is: - Far from me

8.Your favorite color is: - Blue Umbrella

9. What's the weather like? - Humidity Built the Snowman

10. Favorite time of day: - A Crooked Piece of Time

11. If your life was a TV show, what would it be called? – Linda Goes to Mars

12. What is life to you? – In Spite of Ourselves

13 Your relationships: - I Know One

14. Your fear: - being Pretty Good

15. What is the best advice you have to give? – Fish and Whistle

16. If you could change your name, you would change it to: -- ‘Til a Tear Becomes a Rose

17. Thought for the day: - Let’s Invite Them Over

18. How I would like to die: - Killing the Blues

19. My soul's present condition: - Often is a Word I Seldom Use

20. My motto: - All the Best

John Prine was born in Maywood, Illinois 63 years ago today. He worked at the post office in his hometown. On the side, he began playing in coffee shops in the evenings. One day, the film critic Roget Ebert went to see a movie that he didn't like very much. He left the theater early and headed down the street to get a beer instead. He happened to go to the bar where Prine was filling in with background music. And so instead of writing a movie review that week, Ebert wrote a review called "Singing Mailman Delivers the Message,". Suddenly John Prine had a full house every time he played. This is where it all started.

John Prine’s star shone brightly as he began to expose his gift to the world.

His songs are about the things that each day holds and gives up. He writes in effortless verse that brims with wit, observation and unabashed love.

They made love in the mountains, they made love in the streams,
They made love in the valleys, they made love in their dreams.
But when they were finished there was nothing to say,

'Cause mostly they made love from ten miles away.

from Donald and Lydia

And the gold rolled through his veins
Like a thousand railroad trains,
And eased his mind in the hours that he chose,
While the kids ran around wearin' other peoples' clothes...
from Sam Stone

When John Prine sings about love lost, your heart breaks alongside his. In listening to Sam Stone’s story, you cannot help but realize that wars do not end on the battlefield.
Simply put, John Prine can make you feel as though you’ve lived a whole lifetime in 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

Please feel free to post your own My Life According to (fill in your favorite songwriter) and please let us know where we can find your impressions.
Here are the guidelines:

1) Answer the questions as well as you can, but using only song names from one artist.
2) Try not to repeat a song title.

I hope this inspires you to share some of your favorite songs. And wherever you may be, I hope this finds you well and with music in your heart.

7 comments:

Cloudia said...

Clever Gal =D



Aloha, Friend!

Comfort Spiral

Sandra.if said...

I like this.......! thanks...

kathryn said...

Very sweet post! We need to have more music in our lives...it makes every day a little brighter.
Thanks for the comment at my place.

Anonymous said...

sweet post from a very sweet gal..

Deborah said...

Very clever....and an introduction to John Prime for me.

JP/deb said...

I had never heard of him, but now I'm going to explore his work! Great meme :)

the walking man said...

I thought about this and without going through the entire catalog I would have to say John Lennon--Watching the Wheels pretty much sums it all up for me.